The project was assessed under the following legislation:
- Tasmanian Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993
- Tasmanian Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994
- Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
Project approvals have been issued by the Central Highlands Council, the Tasmanian Environment Protection Authority and the Commonwealth Department of the Environment and Energy, as follows:
- Planning Permit (DA 2010/19) from the Central Highlands Council (Planning Authority) for the construction and operation of wind turbines generators and associated infrastructure
- Environment Protection Notice No. 9715/1 issued by the Director of the Tasmanian Environment Protection Authority, and
- EPBC Approval (EPBC 2009/4839) from Department of Environment and Energy.
Additional approvals are associated with the transport of over-dimensional equipment to the project site, access across crown lands, grid connection, conservation covenants for offsets and biodiversity aspects.
The conditions of the respective approvals must be complied with in undertaking the project. The conditions cover the entire project cycle, including construction, operation, decommissioning, environmental and administrative matters. The project has been working closely with each Regulator to ensure compliance with the approvals and that it proceeds smoothly through the pre-construction and construction phases.